How often to we pray, telling God what we want? How often do we take time to listen to what God wants to see happen through our lives? David was busy making plans for God’s house, but all the while it was God who was accomplishing even better things through David.
Worship this week:
SATURDAY EVENING WORSHIP 5:00PM
- A modified traditional worship service, generally less that 45 minutes. We gather the smaller chapel on the Front Street side of the building
SUNDAY MORNING WORSHIP
- We gather in the main sanctuary for liturgical Lutheran worship, accompanied by the pipe organ and featuring our excellent choir.
9:30 AM Sunday School Classes
- Classes for age 3 and up are held throughout the building, while there is time for coffee and conversation in the fellowship hall
In place of our 10:30 am Contemporary worship this week, all are invited to join in our God’s Work/Our Hands service projects around the community, followed by Open House and lunch at 1:00 p.m.
Devotions for this week:
God’s Promise to David October 23, 2016
SHARE: What was a high point of your day? What was a low point?
READ: Read the following daily readings to deepen your understanding:
Sunday: God’s Promise to David, 2 Samuel 7:1-17
Monday: David Commits Adultery and Murder, 2 Samuel 11:1-26
Tuesday: Nathan Condemns David and Solomon is Born, 2 Samuel 12:1-25
Wednesday: David Loses His Throne to Absalom, 2 Samuel 15:1-17
Thursday: David Regains the Throne, 2 Samuel 19:9-15
Friday: Solomon Becomes King, 1 Kings 1: 1-53
Saturday: David’s Instruction to Solomon, 1 Kings 2:1-12
TALK: Consider some of these ideas:
But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan: Go and tell my servant David: Thus says the Lord: Are you the one to build me a house to live in? I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent and a tabernacle. 2 Samuel 7:4-6
- King David wants to honor God, out of respect and gratitude for everything he has received. But more than an earthly house, God wants to see the promise of David’s ancestry fulfilled.
- How do these readings portray David as a leader? What does this say about humanity’s faithfulness? About God’s faithfulness?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of having a permanent place of worship? How might your church building serve God?
- Have you ever desired to do something for God, just to have God turn around and do something for you? In what ways can God’s blessings for you become blessings for others?
PRAY: O Lord, we claim to know what pleases you, yet you desire only our faithfulness. Help us to trust in your promises, and to make your home our only dwelling. Amen.
BLESS: May God fulfill God’s promises to you. Amen.