Pentecost, the third great festival of the church year, celebrates the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the disciples. The coming of God’s Spirit is not just about gifts of language, or tongues of fire, but about the way God continues to touch and bless each of our lives. How is God’s Spirit moving in your life and our world?
Worship with Holy Communion this weekend:
Saturday – 5:00 p.m. in the chapel
Sunday – 8:30 a.m. Traditional worship
10:00 a.m. Contemporary Worship
Devotions for this week:
Pentecost June 4, 2017
SHARE: What was a high point of your day? What was a low point?
READ: Read the following daily readings to deepen your understanding
Sunday: Pentecost, Acts 2:1-4; Galatians 4:1-7
Monday: Paul Greets the Ephesians, Ephesians 1
Tuesday: One in Christ, Ephesians 2
Wednesday: Paul’s Ministry to the Gentiles, Ephesians 3
Thursday: New Life in Christ, Ephesians 4
Friday: On Being Christian, Ephesians 5
Saturday: Put on the Armor of God, Ephesians 6
TALK: Consider some of these ideas:
When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. 2And suddenly from heaven there came a sound like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. Act 2:1-2
- How can the Word spread to the ends of the earth if its hearers can’t even understand the language? The Holy Spirit is about to take care of that.
- The Holy Spirit’s first gift was understanding through shared language.
- How does the Holy Spirit’s light explode in the new world?
- How is your life shaped by the gift of the Holy Spirit? How does it shape your behaviors, and relationships with God and others?
- What have you seen recently that has gone viral? Does it deserve its following? What have you done that you would like to go viral?
- Go online and view the top posts in your social media. Make a note of what goes viral. What do you think attracts people to the post? What does that say about what is needed in this world? Post something uplifting and see what reactions you get.
PRAY: God of fire, Your Spirit rushes in and sweeps us up in its wake. Send us forth in the fire of your inspiration, to light up the world with the witness to your unquenchable love, in the name of the Risen One, Amen.
BLESS: The Holy Spirit lights your life. Amen.