What is Confirmation?
- Confirmation has been around in Lutheran Churches for a long time, but it is important for us to stop and think about what it is before we begin. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has said: “Confirmation ministry is a pastoral and education ministry of the church which helps the baptized person through Word and Sacrament to identify more deeply with the Christian community and participate more fully in its mission.”
ELC Confirmation Journey:
Sixth Grade (Pre-Confirmation): Youth will meet weekly on Wednesdays, 3:45 pm – 4:45 pm, April 19th – May 17th, 2023. These gatherings are intended to enhance our Confirmation experience. Students will share in fellowship, have fun, and review Bible stories.
7th & 8th Grade (ELC’s Confirmation Program): Youth meet on Wednesday nights from 7-8:30 p.m. Classes are led by Pastor John Twiton, Intern Jerome Bell and Youth Ministry Director Brenda Martin, with help from parent group leaders and other volunteers. The class continues to meet through their eighth grade year. (7 pm class begins on Sept 14th)
7th & 8th GRADE CONFIRMATION KICK OFF – Wednesday, September 7th, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. We will be having our ‘Kick-Off’ to Confirmation at church with students and their parents, outside on the church lawn. We will provide brats & hot dogs. Please bring a dish if you are able: 7th grade -Dessert, 8th grade – Side Dish.
This year (2022-2023):
- We are going to study the Lord’s Prayer, the Ten Commandments, and Martin Luther’s explanations as found in the Small Catechism.
- We are going to learn through our actions as well as through worship and doing acts of service for others.
- You will have the chance to talk about what you are learning about your faith at home with your parents and at church with your pastor, teachers, and each other.
- You are going to spend time enjoying the fellowship, friendship, and the joy of being part of a family of faith.
- It is our goal that at the end of all these classes you will stand before the church and make a statement of faith that is meaningful for you.
9th Grade: Our youth are confirmed the last Sunday in October at the beginning of their ninth-grade year. During the fall, the youth complete their Statement of Faith projects. This year, Affirmation of Baptism will be held on October 30th, Reformation Sunday. Details about our gatherings this fall are below in the “Preparing for Confirmation Day” link.
9th GRADE CONFIRMATION NIGHT- Tuesday, September 6th, from 7 – 8:00 pm Youth and parents will meet at church to check in with the youth and see how they are coming with their preparations for Confirmation. Bring your student’s photos and draft of their faith statement. ‘Top off’ our time with ice cream sundaes.
To learn more about the confirmation program, contact Youth Ministry Director Brenda Martin at email@example.com.
7th & 8th Graders:
REGISTER ONLINE: Confirmation Registration on Google Forms 2022
CONFIRMATION CAMP –
- We do expect each student to spend a week at confirmation camp with their group either after their 7th or 8th grade year. This week has typically been near the end of July. Watch for announcements when the schedule for next summer is posted.
Register online: http://wp.sugarcreek bible camp.org.