What is Confirmation?
- Confirmation has been around in Lutheran Churches for a long time, but it is important for us to stop and think about what it is before we begin. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has said: “Confirmation ministry is a pastoral and education ministry of the church which helps the baptized person through Word and Sacrament to identify more deeply with the Christian community and participate more fully in its mission.”
ELC Confirmation Journey:
Sixth Grade (Pre-Confirmation): Youth will meet weekly on Wednesdays, 3:45 pm – 4:45 pm, April 20th – May 18th, 2022. These gatherings are intended to enhance our Confirmation experience. Students will share in fellowship, have fun, and review Bible stories.
7th & 8th Grade (ELC’s Confirmation Program): Youth meet on Wednesday nights from 7-8:00 p.m. Classes are led by Pastor John Twiton, Intern Joseph Tiegen and Youth Ministry Director Brenda Martin, with help from parent group leaders and other volunteers. The class continues to meet through their eighth grade year.
This year (2021-2022):
- We are going to study the Apostles’ Creed, the Sacraments, and Martin Luther’s explanations as found in the Small Catechism.
- We are going to learn through our actions as well as through worship and doing acts of service for others.
- You will have the chance to talk about what you are learning about your faith at home with your parents and at church with your pastor, teachers, and each other.
- You are going to spend time enjoying the fellowship, friendship, and the joy of being part of a family of faith.
- It is our goal that at the end of all these classes you will stand before the church and make a statement of faith that is meaningful for you.
9th Grade: Our youth are confirmed the last Sunday in October at the beginning of their ninth-grade year. During the fall, the youth complete their Statement of Faith projects. This year, Affirmation of Baptism will be held on October 31st, Reformation Sunday.
To learn more about the confirmation program, contact Youth Ministry Director Brenda Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7th & 8th Graders:
REGISTER ONLINE: Confirmation Registration on Google Forms 2021
CONFIRMATION CAMP –
- We do expect each student to spend a week at confirmation camp with their group either after their 7th or 8th grade year. This week has typically been near the end of July. Watch for announcements when the schedule for next summer is posted.
Register online: http://wp.sugarcreek bible camp.org.